Fixing the 4th axis on the TravelCNC and breaking my tools

Since I mounted a larger stepper motor to the 4th axis on my TravelCNC (portable hobby sized CNC in a custom flight case), I needed to raise the 4th axis by 10mm.
Else the longer stepper would collide with the frame.

This means that the tailstock is now too low.

So yesterday and today I milled myself a spacer out of some wood to keep the tailstock at the correct height.

It worked...but when I tried to use it, I made a terrible mistake.
I wanted to use the edge finder to find the right and left edge of the cylinder I mounted.
I knew it was perfectly round, so the center of rotion would match the center of the cylinder.
....so I mounted my mechanical edge finder...switch on the spindle to rotate it slowly

...and forgot that the spindle was still set to 10'000RPM.
It ripped my trusted edge finder apart.

Now you can get mechanical edge finders for 3-4eur in China, no problem.
You can even get cool electronic ones for 10eur.
However all the mechanical ones are 10mm shank and the electronic ones 20mm shank.
The maximum my ER11 collets can mount is 7mm.

I would really like to modify one of these electronic ones. Attach it to the electronic probe input and find edges extremely accurately without jogging back and forth.
However the back is also the battery cover. So I can't simply mill it down from d=20mm to d=7mm. :/

Keine Kommentare: